MANUFACTURERS OF KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS, DESKS,
VANITY TOPS, FIREPLACES, BAR TOPS, AND MUCH MORE
(608) 442-ROCK (7625)
Are Granite Countertops For You?
What have you heard about granite?
If you have a family that makes a lot of messes, you might think granite can’t stand up to the scratches, dents, stains, and strains you and your family can put your countertops through.
Here are a few reasons we hear at Midwest Rock Tops from people regarding what they’ve heard about granite:
- Too absorbent
- Stains easily or permanently
- Granite looses its shine
- Granite takes too much work to take care of
- Heat damages
- Harbor for germs
Let’s address the (perhaps surprising) truth about granite:
- Granite is impervious to water, and less absorbent than other products. You can see many high-rise buildings using granite materials because of their qualities to handle high winds and rain.
- Granite countertops are pretty resistant to stains. If you wipe up any liquids within a few minutes of spilling, it won’t stain. If you wait longer, you might see a dark spot, but it should evaporate pretty quickly. Any liquids that do not evaporate, like oils, can stain. But don’t worry! Most stains can be removed from granite.
- Granite will keep its shine for years and years!
- Regular cleaning with mild soap and water is all you need. You should re-apply a sealer once a year to keep it protected.
- Forgot to put an oven mitt or towel down before you set your hot pan on the counters? With granite, that’s not a problem. However, if you drop a heavy object, or use extreme heat on your counters, that could cause some damage.
- Bacteria are everywhere. Granite, laminate, solid surfaces—any surface can harbor bacteria. Help keep your family safe by using anti-bacterial soap when washing your countertop.
Hopefully, we’ve addressed your concerns when it comes down to granite countertops. If you have any questions, give us a call.